| Search Menu
|The Search Tool for the Pacific Region Contaminants Atlas allows for the searching of a database containing publications relating to environmental contaminants in British Columbia by using a General Search Option or an Advanced Search Option.
General Search Option:
Searching for publications using the General Search option can be done with minimal information such as:
1. Keywords from the title or abstract of the publication: For example, if a particular report is being sought, but the exact title of the report is not known, a key word or phrase can be entered in the Keywords in Title box. For example, a report titled “Mercury Contamination in the Georgia Basin” could be found by entering either mercury or Georgia Basin in the Keywords in Title box. However, if all reports containing information on mercury are being sought, these can be retrieved by entering the word mercury in the Keywords in Abstract box.
2. By Author: Reports by a particular author can be retrieved by entering the last name of the author in the Keywords in Author box. For example, if Smith is entered in the Keywords in Author box, the search results will return all of the reports in the database that were authored or co-authored by Smith.
3. By Geographical Area: Searches based on geographical area of the province can be conducted by selecting from the drop-down boxes for Regional District and for Watershed. Search results for these options would include all publications which pertain to the Regional District or Watershed selected.
4. By Publication Year: Documents published within a specific time frame can be retrieved by using the Publication Year options. For example, all publications between 1998 and 2004 can be retrieved by entering 1998 in the Publication Year From box and 2004 in the Publication Year To box. If the default option for these boxes (from Pre 1970 to Post 2008) is left selected, the search will not be limited based on date, but will return publications from the entire date range contained in the database.
5. By Multiple Parameters: In addition, it is possible to search on two or more parameters simultaneously. For example, entering mercury in the Keywords in Abstract box, Smith in the Keywords in Author box, 1990 in the Publication Year From box and 2000 in the Publication Year To box, and selecting Capital Regional District (CRD) in the Regional District drop-down box will return all documents published between 1990 and 2000 which include information on mercury within the Capital Regional District and were authored or co-authored by Smith.
Advanced Search Option:
The Advanced Search option allows for more defined searches based on a variety of parameters of interest including regional district or watershed, specific contaminant, environmental media, or source of contaminant. In addition, searches can be based on a combination of these parameters. Detailed instructions for conducting searches using the Advanced Search Option are provided on a Step-by-Step basis on the Advanced Search page.